Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Fourth of July Decorating
The Iron Craft challenge this week was to craft to the theme of Stars and Stripes. My entry is pretty lame in terms of creative use of the theme. However, it was a great stash busting project. I started making linens for my living room last year using these kind of homespun looking fabrics. I made two tablerunner-sized cloths to cover two of my chairs. I go frustrated with trying to make the corners work. The ones I made were terribly wonky (although you have to look pretty close to see what I mean.)
When I saw this challenge, I knew I needed to find that bag of fabric and finish the project.
Here you can see my solution to the corners on this table runner. I made my own bias 'binding' and rounded off the corners. Rather than sewing it like a quilt binding, with wrong sides together, I pinned the binding raw edges to the front and then stitched the front and back right sides together. I left a gap for turning it. Pressed it and top-stitched right next to the binding to hold the seams in place. Quick and easy.
Here is most of the new decorating project. The pillows are simple envelope style. I will probably add button holes and buttons once I get to the store to find buttons that I like. In addition to these, I made a round tablecloth edged in bias tape, a small pillow cover and a raw edge runner.
The details: Four different woven patterns of cotton. You know the rest.