Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Project Quilting Week 1: Vintage Fabric



I am going to try and keep up with Project Quilting this year.   It is hosted by Kim over at Persimon Dreams. Week 1 is a square in square in square.  I'm going for literal this time.  Using some vintage patches my grandmother cut anywhere from the twenties to the early eighties.  She called them patches.  They are mostly 2 inch squares.  I think that some of the more interesting and older ones are a bit more wonky than the rest.  I imagine she picked them up, tried to fit them and put them back.  I'm not sure how this is going to work out with the wonkiness, but I think I will be able to compensate for it when I put in the background color. 



 I just love some of these fabrics.  Look at that pixillated chicken!  Remember he can't have been made later than about 1983.  From the feel of the fabric, I am guessing it is much earlier.  But I really have no way to judge.



And then there are the purple people.  I absolutely love them.  I wish I had yardage in that pattern. 

Update:  I measured things out.  These patches are all 2 1/8 inches (or close).  They were all made by Grandma and later Grandpa by tracing around a cardboard pattern with a pencil and then cut out with scissors.  

1 comment: