Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Signed. Sealed. Delivered. Welcome Baby.


It is baby central in this neck of the woods this Spring. Baby quilt Number 1 is officially finished and delivered. This is a very simple quilt for a little boy.

There are 5 green prints, all assorted quilters cottons (from my mad dash through Hancock's of Paduca!)
The binding is one of the Kona grays.

The backing is part of a cut of fabric from IKEA. I used it because of the clear graphic nature of the print that seemed perfect for a new baby. It seems to work ok with the green and gray on the front.

The details (mini tutorial)

The large print fabrics were 9 x 36 inches.
I cut 8 width of fabric strips from the Kona and sewed them together end to end.
I used that long strip to make the sashing and border. (It turned out to be an efficient way to cut and use the fabric without ending up with a lot of little bits. I was worried that the seams would be a problem, but you really don't notice them, particularly now that it is quilted and washed.)

I use 2 inch strips for binding. Keeping it simple by using the Kona for that as well. The quilt measures approximately 40 x 60 inches.

I used a rather fluffy poly batting to make it soft and washable. The quilting was to be geometric and I managed to stitch using gray thread around all of the sashing and binding. I used my walking foot, but I had a very hard time getting it to move through my machine. I am not at all sure what the problem was. I ended up doing a very loose stipple in the rectangles using a lime green thread.

6 comments:

  1. Love it...and thanks bunches for sharing!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh!!! I love this so much!! It is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Modern quilt for a Modern baby boy. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simplicity of this quilt! Also the green, white gray combo colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the quilt is great also! Love the colors and the baby will too. I think I need to visit IKEA more often. Haven't seen that cute print. Thanks for the comment about the geese. Thats what I'm going to do. I've been trying to decide what to use for the rows. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is stinkin' cute!! And I love the lime green colors :).

    ReplyDelete