Waggons West Etsy Shop

Monday, April 9, 2012

Chocolate Egg Nests


This is a guide rather than a recipe because I don't actually have a recipe. I've never measured anything. I will do my best to explain it and you can email me if you need some help. However, it is pretty foolproof and forgiving.

Start with some good chocolate. I used a bag of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips this time. Melt it using your preferred method. Technically you should do it over hot water, carefully keeping the water out and tempering ti as you go. Since you are mixing in coconut, tempering is... a waste of time... erhm not essential. I melt in the microwave. No more than 30 seconds at a time and stir well in between. Starting adding coconut until you get a pretty stiff dough. I used about a half a bag of coconut to the bag of chocolate chips.

Drop the dough onto waxed paper and press in three jelly beans or in this case three Cadbury chocolate mini eggs. Let set up. Plate like cookies or wrap individually in plastic wrap.

Yes, you can use regular chocolate. You get brown nests.
If you want them to look more like the commercial nests, add a small amount of green paste food coloring to turn the chocolate green before you add the coconut.

1 comment: