Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Progress

This week was pretty hectic, so I didn't manage to get this wee quilt finished. I was making it to enter into the Project Quilting Challenge. The inspiration was Barn Quilts.

I grew up in the midst of a relatively rural area. I spent a fair amount of time on the farm and on occasion in the barn. Over the years, more and more barns have fallen into decay. The traditional barns have been replaced by pole barns and steel buildings. They've faded away with the passing of my grandfather's generation. It is a sad sight to see the graying wood crumbling into the ground.

I like the hope I see in the barn quilts. It is the contrast between the gray and weathering boards and the bright and cheerful quilts that I am trying to evoke in this little quilt.

3 comments:

  1. Actually saw a barn quilt a few years back when my parents were in Kansas....it was quite beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're little quilt is evoking exactly what you're wanting it to. It is hopeful and cheerful and shows the beauty of even a decaying barn. It's folksy and simple and beautiful all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting piece and yes, it's rather sad to see barns go by the wayside along with so many other well crafted structures.

    ReplyDelete