I made this quilt earlier this year. It was an experiment. I wanted to learn more about how to use my new sewing machine. In particular, I was interested in leaning how to combine machine embroidery with quilting.
I purchased a set of quilting designs from embroidery library and set out to design a simple and quick quilt to test it out.
Of course, by simple and quick I meant miscount and cut more again and again and again. I wanted to use the heart pattern and combine it with some of my favorite and dwindling red fabric scraps. I started with a rectangle of bleached muslin. I measured and blocked out all of the embroidery designs I planned to use on it in disappearing ink. Then I cut 2.5 inch squares and randomly piece them into strips. At the end of round one, I had enough to do the double layer on two sides of the quilt. At the end of round two I made it to a single layer around the whole thing. Finally by the third try I had enough squared pieced to make the double row all the way around.
Now for the embroidery quilting. I used my new Snap Hoop.
Funny thing about this quilt. My mom asked if she could have it. Of course I said yes. It turned out she wanted it to give to my niece for her wedding present. I think my niece liked it.
A better look at the machine embroidered feather stitching in the center with some free motion stippling around it.A view showing a bit of the back. You can see the diagonal stitching and the heart pattern around the edge. I added that at the end as it looked too plain when I was finished with the basic part of it. I had some control issues on the heart stitching but this was supposed to be a learning experience so I didn't really care all that much. Of course I had no idea it would end up front and center at a wedding.
Hope you all are having a wonderful day wherever you are.
Shared with Linky Party Tuesday - early