Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Can Do That With Six Ingredients!


Make That Bread!

OK, I don't know if anyone even knows that game anymore but it kept running through my mind as I was preparing potluck food this morning.

I found a recipe on the internet for pumpkin corn bread. It sounded really good, but it had a whole lot of ingredients, some if which were not to be found in my pantry. If you've ever seen my pantry, heaven forbid, you would understand that that is actually saying quite a bit. I tend to have more than the usual staples on hand.) I did go get a couple of things when I was close to Global Foods yesterday. I kept putting off making it and figured I would save the idea for later.

Last night was the lock-in for the spuds at church and with it an opportunity for some adult conversation. So I stayed late rather than come home for solitary cooking spree. This morning started slow and then the spuds needed a ride and, and, and. One thing leading to another I found myself with an hour to go until the potluck, nothing prepared to take and a taste for pumpkin cornbread in my head. So, I improvised.


2 packages of Jiffy Mix corn bread mix
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 15-ounce can pumpkin
2 Tablespoons honey
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, Heat a small amount of butter, about 1 tsp, in a cast iron skillet. Lightly whisk the pumpkin pie spice into the Jiffy mixes in a large bowl. Whisk together the pumpkin, honey, eggs and milk. Gently stir into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Pour into the hot skillet. Put in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is set and the top is slightly golden.

See... I can make that recipe with 6 ingredients. All of which happened to be in my pantry or fridge. And the ladies asked for my recipe. That means it must be good. Therefore, this will be cross-posted on the church recipe blog.

*Now, this recipe is really a matter of do as I say rather than do as I do. You can see a smear of pumpkin and some clumps of cornbread mix in the picture above. That is because, in my haste, I dumped it all in the bowl together and stirred until it looked mostly mixed. I obviously missed some clumps and lumps. Mixing the wet ingredients separately will eliminate that problem.

1 comment:

  1. I can and do cook...but it's not my favorite thing and I RARELY improvise...so Bravo! Hope and I'm sure it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete