Waggons West Etsy Shop

Thursday, September 1, 2011

State Fair

Image from the St Louis County Fair page found here.


The new Iron Craft Challenge is Creative Activities. We are to make something that would fit in to one of the Minnesota State Fair creative activities categories.

I love the fair. My dad would take us and teach us the fine points of large animal judging. My grandmother could always be found sitting in front of the Grange display. My uncle was usually one of the sheriffs on duty and my cousins could be found making funnel cakes for the band boosters. It would always rain and the tractors would have to drive over from the tractor pull to pull cars out of the grass field.

I come from a long line of competitive fair entrants. My grandfather regularly entered vegetables and gladioli. My mother took second place with a cake at the Ohio State Fair. She was trying to win the gas range that went to the first place baker, but ended up with 50 pounds of flour instead. I used to be competitive in the baking and art categories at our county fair. Boy blacksmith just took 3 medals with his soda at the Colorado State Fair.

So now all I have to do is decide what to make! The quilt on a stick has a particular appeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment