Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bacon Day and Cornmeal pancakes

No picture this time, as this is a re-post of last year's recipe. I'm putting it here as part of my ongoing effort to collect my food blogs from the farthest reaches of the intertubes and store them in one place.

Sorry I missed posting this for International Bacon Day this year.... It is celebrated the Saturday before Labor Day.

It has been a long time since I’ve food blogged. But International Bacon Day warrants a mention. Not actually of bacon (which by the way was smoked bacon from the Amana Colonies ) but of the peach pancakes that went with it.

Yes, peach pancakes with apple syrup, mini omeletes and BACON. It was my intention to make al carbonara but once I started cooking the bacon the spuds requested breakfast for dinner. I hate to admit it, but I’m not big on making pancakes so I usually rely on a mix. But there was no mix in the cupboard. Only a couple boxes of Jiffy Mix. On the side of the box was a recipe for corn pancakes. I followed the recipe with the addition of butter instead of shortening and a dab of honey. I also added fresh cut up peaches. YUM!

So I now have yet another reason to love Jiffy Mix. I love it as cornbread made with a dash of honey. I love a slice of this warm under vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberry jam on top of it all. I love it made with corn, jalapenos and cheddar cheese. I love it made with cheddar cheese and bacon. I love it with blueberries and honey baked right in.

I know I should make my own mix and I occasionally do when I have some stone ground corn meal from the Ludwig Mill. But Jiffy Mix is easy, cheap and reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment