Thursday, September 22, 2011
Aye Aye Captain.
I've been working on projects for the Steampunk crowd this week.
Today I started with a nice pair of dress pants and a linen shirt. They didn't stay in one piece for very long. I cut them up to make another mini messenger bag.
Here you can see the lining
The embroidery is a machine design from Urban Threads. Those you who know the pattern will recognize that I left off the "in Training" part of it. I figured it might be more appealing to a broader audience this way. It could be a bag for a kid, a neat part of a Halloween costume, or it could be used as a purse.
Again, the body of the purse is made from men's dress pants. They are a wool poly blend of some unknown origin. The lining is a linen blend shirt. I used iron on interfacing to make this one stiffer. I think that give it a better shape when it is done. I wasn't too crazy about working with it, but it turned out fine.
I'm still working on the pattern instructions, particularly the layout on the pants to optimize cutting and features. The trickiest part seems to be getting a long stretch of fabric for the strap. This one was about 30 inches, but that is too short.
(typo fixed 9/23)