Waggons West Etsy Shop

Monday, October 3, 2011

Grandma's Recipes: Orange Julius

As written:

Orange Julius

1/2 of 6 ounce can = 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
5 or 6 ice cube

Combine in blender till smooth about 30 seconds. Makes about 3 cups.

This one is pretty straight forward. The only thing to note is that her ice cubes would have been the big square ones that came out of the aluminum trays with the lever to separate the cubes.

The Orange Julius is likely one of the precursors to today's smoothie craze. As far as I remember, Orange Julius was a covered mall phenomenon. It was one of the first food stands inside the newfangled indoor malls which started opening where we lived in the late 60's or early 70's. Getting an Orange Julius to sip on while strolling around the shops was a very special treat. There was something about them that was just a bit different. I remember trying many times and many ways to recreate them at home. This was one of those knock-off recipes that circulated at the time. The ones I tried were never the same. I'll have to try Grandma's version to see if it is close. Amazingly enough there is an Orange Julius shop at the local mall where I live now so I'll be able to do a comparison.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I haven't had an Orange Julius in AGES! I'll try this for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete