Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sewing Machine Review BL9



What brand and model do you have?

BabyLock BL9

How long have you had it?

I've had the machine for 3.5 years.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

 It is in the $200 range.  I purchased it new on sale for $99.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I use this machine for piecing quilts, making small sewing projects and sewing through multiple layers of fabric.  This is the one I usually use to make my chickens. 

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

 I sew almost daily.  This machine sees a lot of use.  It is the machine I use when my Ellegante is tied up doing embroidery.  It is also the machine that I use for sewing days.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I like the machine.  This one doesn't have a name.  It isn't fussy enough to need one.  

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

This is a basic entry level sewing machine with few stitches and no bells or whistles.  It sews a nice straight stitch and is very reliable.   The light weight makes it easy to take to sewing events.  The small footprint sits well on my table. 

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

I would like the machine better if I could use it for Free Motion Quilting.  It is too lightweight to do that.  While it sews smoothly it makes a fairly clunky noise.  That seems obnoxious to me at sew-ins but no one has really complained about it.  

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?




I would recommend this machine to others.  It is a solid entry level machine.  The fact that it comes with the Babylock service and support makes it a step above similarly priced machines from big box stores.  It handles all the basic sewing tasks nicely.  I've had other name brand student/entry machines that seemed to be more solid but didn't hold up at all. 


What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

 It depends on what you are looking for.  I needed a second, light weight machine to use at different locations.  When looking at entry level machines, make sure that it has the stitches you need.  If you are going to sew on knits, you want a good knit stitch.  If you are just piecing quilts then a basic stitch is fine.

Check the reviews and service records for the machine.  See if your dealer will service your machine.  (One entry level I had from a name brand broke.  The service bill was going to be $150 to send it to the factory and they would not guarantee that it would be repaired.  The machine only cost a bit more than that to start with.  I was sadly disappointed in a brand that I had grew up loving.)

Do you have a dream machine?

 I would love to upgrade to the Ellisimo Gold.

Bonus: Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

For this one... I got nothin'.  It does what I want and goes back on the shelf when I'm done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment