Waggons West Etsy Shop

Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Wall Hanging



Amy from Amy's Creative Side hosts the Bloggers Quilt Festival each year.  Hundreds of quilts are linked up and it is an amazing opportunity to learn, share and be inspired.  This year I am also linking up my Welcome to Leaf Springs Quilt.

  This quilt was made in response to a prompt from Project Quilting.  We were to choose a magazine, open it to page 28 and use that for our inspiration.  I let my husband find me a magazine.  Page 28 was an article about leaf springs.  With only a week to make the quilt I didn't have long to ponder.  I decided to make a picture of the Willy's Jeep I drove in high school.  I imagined it parked next to a creak in a place called Leaf Spring. 

The Madrona Road mountain has the perfect traveling stories.  The gears are a nod to the constant work on a 'vintage' vehicle.  The fluttery leaves are there to make it clear that this is leaf spring. 





And the daisy fabric on the windshield and headlamp are there because "Silly boys, Jeeps ARE for girls"! 



 For those of you who are new to this site, here are the details:

Raw edge applique fused on to a base of muslin.  All the fabrics are quilters cottons.  It is machine stitched and machine quilted in black thread using a straight stitch.   The binding is exactly 4 inches of my most favorite fabric ever. 
(Asked Spud one to measure it for me.  "1.1 x .6 cubits."   True measurements  14 x 20 inches.   Way off in his cubit estimation.  Blames it on a growth spurt!)  It is finished with fast finish triangles for hanging.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I love how you've translated it from magazine to fabric.

    And I think I need to steal that challenge idea - what a great one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response to the challenge and in only a week?!? Wow, you really did a great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete