Waggons West Etsy Shop

Friday, May 17, 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Art Quilt


Amy of Amy's Creative Side Hosts the Bloggers Quilt Festival each year.   This Spring is no exception.  Quilters get to choose two of their quilts to enter in two different categories.  I am sure that is going to double the already huge number of quilts available for us to look at.


I decided to submit my little lotus flower mug rug to the art quilt category.  The origami flower has taken my quilt thinking process in a new direction.  The improvisationally pieced lily pad continues my experiment with that style of patchwork. 


This quilt was made for the Craftster.org Mug Rug swap.  I was inspired by some origami lotus flower votives, my partner had pinned.  It is approximately 12 x 10 inches.  It was machine pieced and quilted with hand stitching on the origami flower which is made out of muslin.  I have made one follow on piece and I expect I will be experimenting with this more in the future. 

6 comments:

  1. That's really cute!!

    I love the folded fabric. A good reminder that flat isn't the only dimension we can play with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun little lily pad! I love the improv patchwork. Your greens are so fun. And the origami flower is a really nice detail.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! A 3-D mug rug! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love it - I never considered moving into the third dimension with my quilts. But this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea and perfect place to hid a piece of chocolate

    ReplyDelete