Waggons West Etsy Shop

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Donuts

Another Re-post! Tis the season to be too busy to keep up with the internet. I am working on collecting all my recipes in one place. This is part of that effort. And these donuts would make a great snack for a lazy holiday morning!

tasty donuts

tasty donuts

About a bajillion years ago I was in charge of a donut making fundraiser. We ended up spending about 20 hours straight making over 800 dozen cake donuts. I still can’t stand cake donuts although I can be persuaded to eat the good yeasty kind you get at the bakery.

The spuds have occasionally asked me to make donuts and I have refused until I was sucked in by this post at the Pioneer Woman Cooks. Today I made donuts.

They were not the lovely perfection displayed on the web. But I did manage to get a pretty good sample by the time I was finished. I do have a few corrections/changes to the recipe so I am posting them here where I will be able to find them.

1. The recipe calls for adding the flour mixture to the wet ingredients without actually describing a flour mixture. I assumed it meant to mix the flour and salt together.

2. Roll out the dough to be THICK. I did the quarter inch described in the recipe. Some were thicker. In the future I will roll it out to a half inch. The thicker donuts were MUCH better.

3. Flour the cookie sheet means flour the cookie sheet. More than a dusting. I deformed a bunch of donuts prying them off of the sheet.

4. Get the cast iron kettle re-seasoned. Even the heavy aluminum kettle doesn’t hold the heat properly.

5. Better yet, research a real fryer system. Any suggestions?

6. Use lots of paper towels and do not forget the turn and blot step.

7. Make the glaze different. I didn’t like the vanilla in it. I probably should have listened and added the salt. I think thicker might be better. Although once the glaze actually set up on the thicker donuts it was pretty good.

I may have to try this again, but it probably won’t be for a while. There is just something about the lingering smell of donuts frying…

No comments:

Post a Comment