Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Generations


I've been trying to blog about my quilting journey. I haven't been too successful at it. Fragments and patches of memories drift through my mind but refuse to be stitched together. They are like the orphan fabrics in my stash. Each one purchased with love. Each one beautiful on its own and yet none of them connect. The common thread has yet to be seen. There is no straight path to today.

Most of the memories floating around in my head revolve around my grandmother sitting at her treadle machine. I sat under the quilting frame making quilts for my dolls. I sat at my great aunt's machine making blankets for my babies. I sit at my high tech machine making quilts for college dorms.

The quilt pictured above is destined for a new baby. The first grandchild of my best friend since we were four. From my grandmother to my mother to me to my children to a new generation. Some how coming full circle.

The details. This quilt is about 40" square. It is made from one charm pack of birdie by me and my sister and basic white from Moda. It has a cotton batting. The free motion quilting was one of my earliest efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment