Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

ME Quilt Pattern


This is one of the first real quilts I made. I made it just for ME! I came up with the pattern on my own, by trial and error. It hangs on the wall in my living room and some of my quilty friends have asked for the pattern. I made it from one charm pack, 8 fat quarters and one third of a yard in coordinating prints. It would be fun to make it scrappy.

There are a total of 96 blocks. The finished quilt is approximately 36 x 48 inches.

Sort the charm pack into lights and darks. Pair a light with a dark and stitch them into two half square triangle blocks. Follow any tutorial you like. I used this one from p.s. i quilt. I find I am far more accurate when cutting on the line after I sew the two seams than when I try pairing up the pre-cut triangles. This makes 42 half square triangle blocks that are 4 1/2 inches on a side.

Don't worry if sometimes a fabric is the light one in one pairing and the dark one in another. All that matters is that you keep the darker of the two fabrics on the bottom when you piece it together.

The rest of the quilt is made up of 54 solid 4 1/2 inch blocks. In the pattern below, I used
Fabric 1-- 14
Fabric 2 -- 7
Fabric 3 -- 4
Fabric 4 -- 8
Fabric 5 -- 4
Fabric 6 -- 8
Fabric 7 -- 3
Fabric 8 -- 3
Fabric 9 -- 3

Assemble your blocks following the pattern below. There are two important things to remember. 1. You want to always have the darker of the two fabrics in each half square triangle on the bottom as you look at the quilt. 2. The half square triangles need to go in the designated spots to make the quilt flow properly. It doesn't matter too much which solid block goes where. You just want to mix things up in a way that makes you happy when you look at it.


Click on the pattern to enlarge!

Finished as written you will need a piece of backing fabric that is about 1 1/2 yards long. You will need to piece together at least 5 width of fabric strips. I use 2 inch bindings which requires 1/3 of a yard of fabric. A 2 1/2 inch binding requires 1/2 yard as does a 3 inch binding.

The details. All fabrics are by Mary Engelbreidt. The batting is cotton. It was machine quilted in an allover pattern that resembles the traditional ME flower design by the folks at Missouri Star Quilt Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment