Waggons West Etsy Shop

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mom's Chicken Bundles

I am quite sure that this recipe came from some where. The version I have is hand written and doesn't site the source. No matter, this is most likely the version she uses to make these yummy chicken filled pastries. They are as addictive as pigs in a blanket. Since it is chicken rather than processed sausages we can even pretend they are healthier!

8-oz softened cream cheese
4 Tbs butter

Blend together until smooth.

Add:
4 cups cooked chicken (She uses 1 can Brinkman's chicken from Findlay, Ohio. I imagine any canned chicken or even leftover cubed chicken will serve the purpose)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbs minced dried onions

Mix well.

Separate 4 8-oz cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Quick Crescent Rolls into 16 squares. Pinch together perforations and roll out on floured board. Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture onto the center of each square. Pull 4 corners of dough to center of mixture; seal. Dip in 2 Tbs melted butter, then in crushed seasoned croutons. Bake on ugreased cookie sheet 2 25 minutes until golden brown.

I know she makes these in advance for guests and freezes them. I will check with her to see if she does it before or after she bakes them.

One note about the chicken. The flavor of canned chicken tends to be richer and saltier than the leftover chicken you might have on hand. I find that it is the canned chicken that makes this such a tasty treat. You may want to adjust the salt. I don't have ready access to the Brinkman's although I just discovered it can be ordered on-line. I intend to try this with the canned chicken I get at Costco which has a taste that is similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment