Whew! It is finally the last week of Kim Lapaceck's Project Quilting. A week I looked forward to with equal parts excitement, sadness and dread. Excitement, because it is always exciting to get the new challenge. To spend time thinking about what to make and to figure out how to do it. Sadness, because PQ is over for another year and I will miss these bi-weekly challenges and more importantly bi-weekly deadlines to get a quilt finished. (During the 6 weeks of project quilting, I managed to finish 9 quilt projects.)
And then the dread... As you may know, my personal challenge this season was to make large quilts. Big enough to cover up Spud 1.
Week 2 saw the production of a bigger but still rather smallish picnic quilt. Stitching over all of those flat-felled seams and pockets almost did in me and my machine.
Week 3 was larger still with the good wrap up on the couch Good N Plenty quilt. Completely fun and manageable in the time frame!
Week 5, the even larger, twin sized Jam and Bread quilt, again made of triangles. This time the triangles were quarter square triangles. I didn't think I could possibly get this one finished. A trip out of town. A pieced backing. The need to go to use the tables in the multipurpose room at church to get it basted. A wee bit of assistance on that from the spuds on Saturday night, and I managed a finish.
Thus the dread of week 6. Was I up to the challenge of making the next size up? A full sized quilt in keeping with the pattern of the rest of the season. Dread.
The week 6 challenge was triangles. That is all. Triangles for two weeks from a quilter who just doesn't do triangles unless she absolutely has to and now more triangles. A giant full-sized quilt with more triangles. Let's just say I did a wee bit of whining. For most of the week, I was pretty much convinced that this one lone triangle-shaped coaster made of chalkboard fabric was going to be my entry.
But Thursday night, I couldn't help myself. I had to do at least a little bit better. Since I wasn't going to be able to go large and I didn't want to go home, I decided to try and tackle paper piecing. I've tried many times. I've sat through the classes at least three times. I always come up short. Literally. My pieces are always sewn on too short.
This was the week to conquer my fear. I found a pattern for flying geese in a circle. I printed out a couple patterns and I went for it. Amazingly enough, only the very last piece of the last block was too short. I made two blocks. Added some coordinating fabric and called it quits.
Be sure to check out all the other great triangle quilts made this week.
Thank you Kim for all your hard work producing Project Quilting. Thank you Diane Lapacek for your evil genius in coming up with the challenges. And Kudos to the many talented quilters who produce a quilt in a week for no reason other than the challenge is there.
Because she asked so nicely, I've linked this week's post to Go Go Kim's SewJo Saturday link party. Even more great quilts to admire!