Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, March 9, 2014

PQ 5.5 Jam and Bread

Updated with new pictures up front.  Scroll down for details.




  A bit of a close up showing the fabrics and the very simple quilting.

This week's PQ challenge is to be inspired by the grocery store.



My inspiration was Jam and Bread.  Blueberry and strawberry jam and plain old white bread.  I also added in the red gingham backing like the wax paper sandwiches used to be wrapped in at the diner.


The blocks are all hour glass blocks.  If this quilt has a story it is simply that it is finished.  It has been a difficult week with lots of travel and a touch of a cold to keep me from getting much done.  I've had the blueberry fabric in my stash for a while.  I found the strawberry that almost matches it on Etsy.  I was going to use it for a checked border around the blueberry hour glass blocks but changed my mind.  I'm not sure it was the right choice, but it is done so I will move on.



Sorry, it is too big for me to get a pic without including my friend Floyd and his collection of hats.  Spud 1 is holding it up.  He is complaining that it is big and heavy.  I have no sympathy.  He is the one who insisted that all my PQ quilts this season be big enough to keep warm.  If he gets a quilt big enough to warm his big toe for the last challenge, he will be living large.  


Here you can see the fabrics a little bit better. While I have been working large this season, I have also been learning a lot.  I'll share some of the things I've learned once I get some rest. 


One more view with the edge folded back.  I love making rounded corners.  I didn't use the big plate on these so they are a bit tighter than usual.  I won't make that mistake again.  The binding is actually a green gingham.  I love white space and gingham binding. 



 
 The details.  It measures approximately 68 x 77 inches.  It is made with quilter's cotton.  The machine quilting forms a diamond pattern.  The binding is also machine stitched.  It has a dense poly batting.



Project Quilting was imagined by Kim Lapacek of Persimon Dreams.   You can check out the rest of the quilts made this week and vote for your favorite on her blog.

You can see all of the quilts and vote for your three favorites here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment