Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, February 9, 2014

PQ 5.3 Challenge: Sweet Treats The Good N Plenty Quilt

My ongoing challenge for this season of Project Quilting  is to make quilts big enough to be functional as a quilt rather than an accent piece or wall hanging.  I want to make them Good N Plenty big!


As soon as I read the challenge, I headed to my stash with visions of red and white candy stripes as there was a dish of peppermints on the table in front of me.  The pink tray was on top and visions of my favorite Good N Plenty candy quickly replaced the peppermint.



The lozenges are about 10.5 inches long and 4 inches wide.  (The standard length of the paper in the notebook I use for my designing.)



I started to use fusible web but it seemed like a big pain so I instead used spray baste reinforced with a couple pins on the off chance they would shift while I was zigzagging them down. 

Spud 3 served as design consultant and insisted "needs more pink" at one point.  Not something I expect to hear from a teenage boy. He is the one who resorted to looking at the candy box for placement.   He is also quite miffed that I left the upper corner empty.   But the time limitations of the challenge dictates some design choices. 



The quilting is a very loose stipple around the outside of the candies.  The binding is a black and white polka dot.

Many thanks to my friends Jean and Janie who jumped up to assist with the basting when I showed up to use the tables at church after Bible Study!


The backing is a $3/yard find that was perfect for the project.  You have to look to see where I had to piece it.  And the large print hides the quilting boofs, although I have to say there are surprisingly few of those on this quilt.  Practice is a good thing.  

2 comments:

  1. This is quite the fun subject for a quilt! I can just imagine what fun it was to put this together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete