Waggons West Etsy Shop

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Project Quilting 15.2 Kansas Sky


So, I've been known to complain about the challenges that dear Trish comes up with each week during Project Quilting.  This week, was no exception.  The headline on the challenge was colors of the sky.  Immediately, I was thrilled.  I have a pent up desire to make a blue and white quilt.  I was going to do it.  YAY!  It would even be a traditional quilt.  No stretching the rules at all.  

But then, I read the fine print.  No blue.  Harumph!!!  I openly declared that I was going to make a quilt that was puke green Kansas tornado sky.  That seemed to strike a chord.  Down in the comments, Robyn Wimmer said "Don't forget the flying monkeys."

Oooooooo......  I got it! I'm going to make a monkey quilt!  You might think that the background color is a pretty jungle green.  However, it includes that puke green Kansas tornado sky.


I didn't have any puke green, or the appropriate shades of brown in my stash.  So I ended up getting the proper colors of grunge fabric.  It has a frankenbatting stitched together from scraps.  Remarkably the backing is a VERY old piece of flannel from my stash.  I mean very old.  It is at least 10 years old and probably a whole lot more than that.  

Because it is basically a baby quilt, I decided to tie it with embroidery floss rather than FMQ.  I rounded the corners (it has been a while since I've done that).  It finished at 40 x 40".P


7 comments:

  1. So glad I'm not the only person who didn't make a straight-up sky quilt! But mine isn't a monkey, it's a Furby/Owl toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I loved yours. I usually push the limits, but this one was pretty far out there. It looks ridiculous in the fingernails with the rest of them.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only person who didn't go super literal. I love your monkey quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous and I bet super cozy! I always love the stories behind your quilts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate you guys putting up with my goofiness.

      Delete