Waggons West Etsy Shop

Saturday, March 24, 2018

PQ 9.6 Use Up and Make Do



The Project Quilting Challenge this week is Scraptastic.  We are required to use 12 unique fabrics.  That continues to fit my personal theme of Western Expansion.  While there are lots of wonderful examples of beautiful quilts made by women on the way West.  There were, however, even more quilts made of scraps for purely utilitarian purposes.  Use what you have.  Make a quilt to keep some one warm. 

I really like this picture of Victorian era women quilting.  I don't actually know where they are or what year the photo was taken, but it is clearly post Civil War and likely pre 1900.  So the time is right.  I love the ladies sitting around the quilt frame. 

I grew up playing under the quilting frame at my grandmother's house.  It was always set up in the living room when she was working on a project.  I would take my dolls and my own little sewing project underneath and I would apparently sing away while the ladies quilted.  Every now and then I had to find the hanging needle that they 'lost' have to poke it back up through the top.  I must have been able to do it with sufficient precision because I don't really recall having to try a lot.  My only regret is that I didn't pay attention to the conversations that were taking place above the quilt.  I am quite sure I would have a much better understanding of all sorts of family history had I been listening. 

This little quilt is about 8 x 10 inches.  The image is printed on cotton.  The 'frame is made from blocks that finish at 1/2 inch.  It has a pillowcase finish and is machine quilted with a simple stitch in the ditch... I hate stitch in the ditch...

Now go and read about all of the amazing quilts made as part of this week's Project Quilting episode. 


3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! The scrappy border compliments the theme of the picture so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading about your Western Expansion series...and seeing all your beautifully done entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome article.

    ReplyDelete